Wednesday, September 28, 2016

An insight into Electronic Dance Music

It started out my sophomore year in high school as what some people called "just a phase". Nearly ten years later I find that my passion for EDM has only grown larger and continues to grow. I have seen over a hundred DJ's live, been to dozens of concerts, and traveled to various places of the U.S. to experience multiple 2-3 day festivals. I've had some truly awe-inspiring experiences over the years that have developed into some of my most favorite memories. The EDM industry is currently the fastest growing genre, and its popularity rivals that of pop, rock, rap/hip-hop, and country music. That being said, there are still a number of common misconceptions and stereotypes directed towards the genre. It is my goal to discredit those stereotypes and portray the EDM culture to those who may not have an insight.
It may come as a surprise that I ended up in Indiana, a state dominated by country music and everything it stands for: trucks, beer/whiskey, horses, cowboy hats, etc. Nationally and internationally there is a larger following of this genre, but definitely not in Indiana. This is one particular reason as to why I selected this topic. Ultimately, I will be talking about the culture as a whole, discrediting some of the negative stereotypes linked to the genre, and guiding those who are interested towards nearby locations to experience EDM. Get those costumes ready, put those dancing shoes on, and hydrate for the truly breathtaking experience to come. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm really excited that you're writing a blog about EDM. While I am not familiar with EDM, I am a huge music lover of all types of music and going to concerts are one of my favorite things to do, especially with my dad. You can meet so many awesome people through the power of music. Looking at the picture you used for your first post is awesome because its bringing so many people together to create unforgettable memories! This might be a shot in the dark, but does Electric Forest fall into this category of music? The forest is definitely on my bucket list! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EDM!!! I had a phase of EDM playing a game called Forza Horizon and I have fallen in love with it. My ex-girlfriend would listen only to EDM. She forced me to take a liking into a variety of it. And yeah... I say more this area is about country and trucks and stuff, but if you go to a bigger city like Indy that may all change for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EDM is a now a huge part of the millennial culture, so the fact that you are writing about it is awesome. I have had experiences with some concerts in Bloomington, In, however have never actually been to a festival per say. Writing about the culture, as you have hinted at, will allow people to learn about EDM's culture before they even go to a festival. A lot of people assume the culture is centered around drugs, however the music itself is what drives the genre and I think this blog will create an environment where people can talk about such things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like many people have heard of EDM, but have not experienced it. I am, unfortunately on of those people. EDM does not seem to be widely known of talked about. It is interesting that you are writing about it. I look forward to reading more about it!

    ReplyDelete